We are committed to bringing agricultural information to the youth of Oklahoma. Whether you are just starting a livestock project or you are looking for dynamic speech material you can find it all right here!
We host and coordinate a wide variety of events for youth, including livestock judging, equine, meat, and dairy cattle! Some of the youth programs we are involved in include the OSU Livestock Judging Camps, Big 3 Field Days, Oklahoma Pork Youth Leadership Camp, and Oklahoma Youth Expo. We also coordinate livestock judging contests for over 3,000 students a year at Oklahoma State University, the Tulsa State Fair, and the State Fair of Oklahoma. In coordinating the judging contests, we have revolutionized scoring systems through the integration of Scantron technologies.
Dairy Judging Youth Events
- State 4-H and FFA Dairy Judging ContestEvery April, OSU hosts the State 4-H and FFA Dairy Judging Contest. Participants evaluate the physical characteristics of dairy cattle
- Summer Dairy Field DaysEach June, OSU hosts the Summer Dairy Field Day. It consists of a dairy judging contest and Oklahoma dairy producer meeting.
Equine Youth Events
- State 4-H Horse ShowTop contestants from the four districts compete at the Tulsa State Fair to determine the state champion in events such as Western Pleasure, Hunter Hack, Showmanship, Reining, and Ranch Roping.
- State 4-H and FFA Horse Judging ContestStudents from across the state compete to determine the best of the best in horse judging. Finishing as the top teams allow youth to advance to national competitions such as the AQYHA World Show.
- Horse Communication ContestYouth compete by demonstrating their equine knowledge and public speaking ability in this multi-contest event which includes speeches, illustrated presentations, photography, and quiz bowl.
- Horse Science AcademyHigh school aged youth get immersed in the STEM side of equine management, using math skills, and scientific concepts while doing hands-on activities.
Livestock Judging Youth Events
- OSU Livestock Judging Camp
The OSU Livestock Judging Camp brings 140 prospective students each June to participate in one of two events. This unique experience will give participants the exciting opportunity to work with some of the most successful livestock judging coaches in the country. Participants will also benefit from personal training by members of the current livestock judging team.
Dates for LJC 2022 are:
Session I: June 6-8, 2022
Session II: June 9-11, 2022
The 2022 LJC Packet is linked below. If you have any questions concerning camp, please contact Rusty Gosz at email@example.com.
- Oklahoma State 4-H Livestock Judging Contest
The Oklahoma state 4-H livestock judging contest will be held in conjunction with the Oklahoma state FFA livestock judging contest. Please review the documents below for updates and forms for this year's contest.
- OSU Big 3 Field Days
Our Big 3 Field Days is the most time-honored summer field day in the country! The three-day event draws approximately 1,900 youth to OSU in July to participate in livestock judging and other educational events. More than 100 awards and scholarships are given each year, including the Joe Hughes Memorial Traveling Trophy!
Dates for Big 3 2022 are:
July 19-21, 2022
- Oklahoma Youth ExpoThe Oklahoma Youth Expo (OYE) is recognized as the largest youth event in the state of Oklahoma. The livestock show brings over 7,000 exhibitors along with their educators and families from all of Oklahoma's 77 counties. Each March, Oklahoma State University faculty and staff plan a day of games, giveaways, and fun for the whole family to enjoy in an event called "OSU Day at the OYE."
- OSU Cimarron ClassicThe Cimarron Classic is open to Junior College, 4-H, and FFA Youth livestock judging teams. There is no limit to how many teams or individuals a Junior College, high school, or county can enter. The contest will has three divisions in total.
Meat Youth Events
- Meats Judging CampThis unique experience will give participants the opportunity to learn basic principles of meat judging and evaluation, as well as a better understanding of principles impacting curability and meat value. In addition, participants will gain hands-on experience with cutting retail I.D. Registration is limited to 50 participants.
- State 4-H & FFA (CDE) Meat Judging ContestOSU hosts this judging contest each year. The contest is held on the last Saturday in April.The state meat judging contests are held annually for 4-H and FFA students from around the state. The contests consist of placing classes, questions or reasons, grading and retail-ID. The winning teams represent Oklahoma at their respective national contests.
- Midwest Invitational Meat Judging ContestOpen to all youth and will include both Sr. 4-H and FFA divisions and a Jr. division. Teams can consist of up to four students, but alternates are eligible for individual awards. There is no limit to the number of teams a 4-H club or FFA chapter may enter.The Sr. 4-H division will include 30 ID, six classes and three sets of reasons. The FFA contest will include six classes, 30 retail ID, two sets of questions, and six head of carcasses for yield and quality grading. The Jr. division will consist of 30 ID (specie and retail cut only), six classes and three sets of questions. Additional classes and cuts will be available if product is available.