Skip to main content


Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

Common questions asked about Family & Consumer Sciences and Oklahoma Home and Community Education programs.

What is a Family & Consumer Sciences county educator?

Each county in Oklahoma has a Family and Consumer Science county educator. These educators work with the county, district and state to bring needed resources and education to areas all around Oklahoma. Each county has a variety of issues they are facing. The FCS county educators are specially trained in addressing these issues through education and outreach to the community. They also serve as county advisors to Oklahoma Home and Community Education, Inc. (OHCE) and are involved other community organizations that serve to help others.


What is a Family & Consumer Sciences program leader?

The FCS program leader is the assistant director of the Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service in charge of the Family and Consumer Sciences programs in the state. The FCS Program Leader serves as state advisor to OHCE and directs the work of the state specialists who design programs for the public and train all the FCS county educators. Since each county has different needs and addresses different issues, the programs they deliver can vary widely. It is then the responsibility of FCS program leader to ensure the programs are being presented according to research-based curricula and resources and that the community needs of the people we serve are addressed.


What is a Family & Consumer Sciences district program specialist?

Oklahoma is split into districts that encompass all the counties in the state. Each of these districts house different populations ranging from urban to rural and wealthy to poor. It is the responsibility of the FCS district program specialist to make sure that all counties are up to date on their program specifics and that the FCS county educators are up to date on their certifications and trainings. They also serve as the district advisors to OHCE.


What is a Family & Consumer Sciences state specialist?

Family & Consumer Sciences state specialists are OSU faculty members who have gone through extensive research and training in their specialized field. The different fields include food and nutrition, gerontology and aging issues, housing, leadership development and family policy, community nutrition education programs, money management, emergency preparedness and children and families, among others. It is the job of the state specialist to make sure that all programs are presented correctly and that the counties and districts are reaching their goals. Since each county has different needs, the state specialist must be in contact with FCS county educators all over the state to address any issues pertaining to existing and future educational needs.


What is Oklahoma Home and Community Education?

Oklahoma Home and Community Education, Inc. (OHCE), is a state-wide organization that helps individual members, their families and communities develop a higher level of living through education. OHCE’s ultimate mission is to educate its members to be well-informed and able to handle change in their homes and communities. This organization is well positioned to develop community leaders and informed citizens through research based educational programs. Through a partnership with the Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service, OHCE is able to provide further opportunities to apply community service projects statewide.


What are Cooperative Extension-Family & Consumer Sciences Ambassadors?

Cooperative Extension Family & Consumer Sciences Ambassadors is an association supporting Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service with youth and family programs. FCS Ambassadors are committed to enhancing the economic and personal well-being of Oklahoma families and youth through research based information. This is done through providing support, becoming involved and providing counsel to better educate Oklahoma’s youth and families.

Back To Top