The Backyard Poultry Program is dedicated to providing up-to-date, researched and unbiased information to individuals wanting to raise and produce poultry on a small scale either for their own personal use or for public consumption.
Backyard poultry flocks are becoming increasingly popular. In a recent online ‘backyardchicken’ group, a poll of chicken owners revealed that having a source of fresh ‘homegrown’ eggs was the most important reason people raised chickens. However, the second most popular reason for keeping chickens (72%) was for pets and companionship.
The Basics of Backyard Chickens
Backyard Chicken Tips
- News | For the Birds: Tips for Backyard Chicken Keeping
- News | Small flock production provides benefits, but good management remains a must
- Oklahoma State University Extension releases poultry processing video
- OSU Backyard Poultry YouTube Channel
- OSU Extension Poultry Fact Sheets
- Poultry Ration Calculator