United We Can
The mission of United We Can! from OSU Extension is to increase the number of Latino students from Tulsa that attend and graduate from higher education institutions.
Who We Are
United We Can! is a family-based intervention program designed to help Latino middle-school youth excel in school, avoid risky behaviors such as drug use and teen pregnancy, and reduce the chronic stress in their lives that leads to long-term physical and emotional problems such as heart disease and depression.
United We Can! provides an interactive two-year program that uses a three-prong approach to guide students and their families through the rigors of pursing post-high school education:
- Family Engagement – Families attend a series of sessions throughout the academic year that help parents understand the educational system of the United States, become more involved in their child’s school and ultimately learn to advocate for their child’s success.
- Child Personal Agency - Students are assigned to a success coach who works with them to develop an individualized educational plan based on the needs and assets of the child. Coaches monitor student progress using data provided by the school and guide youth in the development of emotion regulation, goal setting, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. Coaches emphasize the importance of a strong parent-adolescent relationship and help youth cultivate skills and attributes that aid in positive youth development.
- Positive Peer Affiliations - Students participate in activities where they are offered a safe space to bond with one another and develop a sense of belonging with a group of like-minded peers. Activities focus on exposure to STEM-related fields (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), which are designed to build competency in life skills and increase motivation to pursue education after high school. A final outing takes youth to the OSU Stillwater campus where they are encouraged to envision themselves completing a four-year degree through hands on activities such as DNA sequencing and videography
Where We Serve
United We Can! works with students at multiple middle and junior high sites in Tulsa Public Schools.
Our Partner Schools:
- East Central Junior High
- Thomas Edison Preparatory
- Hale Junior High
- Monroe Demonstration Academy
- Rogers Middle School
- CIRCA Spanish Parent Survey
- CIRCA English Parent Survey
- CIRCA Spanish Youth Survey
- CIRCA English Youth Survey
- 2019 Cohort 7 Survey
For more information, view the United We Can program website.