Skip to main content


Open Main MenuClose Main Menu

Find programs and information about agriculture, production and management within Noble county and surrounding areas to help your farm, ranch or garden. We are always happy to help and direct you in the right direction to best fit your needs.


Upcoming Events

Check out the upcoming agriculture opportunities in our area! If you have any questions about an event, please call the Extension Office at (580) 336-4621.


Pesticide Zoom Training: December 12 - 9:00 AM to 4:00 pm, Perry

"Free" to attend with lunch on your own.


December 12th – Noble County Pesticide Zoom Training information

Current Animal Disease Alerts

Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Fiber (ODAFF) - Animal Industry Services division main priority is to ensure the health of our Oklahoma livestock herds. Our list will include current outbreaks, for more information, a full list of reportable diseases or other seasonal concerns please visit the ODAFF disease alert webpage.


Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI)

In early 2022, many states were detecting HPAI in wild migratory birds. The first positive case of HPAI in Oklahoma was found in a wild duck on March 29th. However the first positive case in a commercial flock was confirmed on May 1st. As of June 1st, 2022, there is no longer a ban in place for poultry shows, public sales and swap meets.


ODAFF Guidance for Poultry Activities


What is HPAI?

HPAI is a highly virus that infects birds of all types. Wildlife such as waterfowl, shore birds and raptors can serve as reservoirs for HPAI. Domestic poultry do not survive HPAI infections.


Signs and symptoms of HPAI in a domestic flock can include:

  • Extreme depression or lack of energy
  • Decrease in feed and water consumption
  • Unusual quietness of the flock
  • Coughing and sneezing
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Swelling or purple discoloration of head, eyelids, comb, wattle and legs
  • Decrease in egg production
  • Sudden unexplained death

The signs and symptoms of HPAI are common with common poultry diseases. HPAI will not be isolated to one or two birds. It will effect the entire flock.



How is HPAI transmitted?

HPAI is often spread by direct contact between birds. The virus is shed through of the nose, mouth, eyes and droppings of infected birds. The virus can last weeks outside of the birds. Due to the hardy nature of the virus, HPAI can also be spread indirectly by moving contaminated equipment, shoes and clothing between flocks. Free roaming flocks with access to areas frequented by wild birds are at high risk for HPAI.


For more information on how to minimize your flock's risk to HPAI, please go to the Defend the Flock webpage and take a look at the OKState Fact Sheet AFS-8301 Small Flock Biosecurity for Prevention of Avian Influenza.


Can humans get HPAI from eating poultry or eggs?

Eggs and other poultry products are safe to consume. There is no evidence that HPAI can be transmitted through properly cooked food. For more information, go to the FDA webpage regarding the Safety of eggs during  HPAI  outbreaks


What do I do if i suspect a flock with HPAI?

Call your local veterinarian or the Oklahoma State Veterinarian's Office at (405) 522-6141.


For any general questions regarding HPAI, a 24 hour phone line has been established at 2-1-1.


Pest e-Alerts

The E-Pest alerts highlight current research within entomology and plant pathology. Focusing on recent issues within entomology extension to provide available resources to producers and consumers alike. For past 2021 and earlier Pest e-Alerts, please go to the Entomology and Plant Pathology Pest e-Alert webpage.





Soil, Water and Forage Testing

The OSU Soil, Water & Forage Analytical Laboratory works in conjunction with the OSU Extension. To help serve the state of Oklahoma with testing Services, each County Extension Office is set up to take samples for analysis. You are encouraged to take your sample to your local County Extension office.


Benefits of Testing

Soil Testing: The Best Management Practice

  • Increases productivity by identifying soil nutrients or soil chemical factors that are limiting plant growth;
  • Increases fertilizer use efficiency by indicating appropriate rates for different soils and crops;
  • Protects the environment by preventing over fertilization;
    Identifies polluted or contaminated soils

Water Testing

  • Protects the health of people, livestock, fish and crops;
  • Identifies polluted or contaminated water supplies;
  • Indicates the suitability of water for various uses

Forage and Feed Testing

  • Aids in identification of best management practices for forage production;
  • Improves marketability of the forage;
  • Increases livestock feeding efficiency;
  • Prevents livestock poisoning from nitrate.

Manure and Animal Waste Testing

  • Use nutrients efficiently by knowing the content of various types of manure;
  • Provide information for Nutrient Management Plan development and water quality protection;
  • Ensure waste treatment facility functioning properly.

Greenhouse Media Testing

  • Ensure adequate and balanced nutrients;
  • Maintaining appropriate pH;
  • Avoid high salinity and other toxic elements building up in the media.

Submitting a Sample

Step 1. Obtain the proper sample bag/container from the local County Extension office. It is important for samples to be in the correct containers.

  1. Properly sampled soil should be put in a soil bag. Please fill the bag. The Lab WILL NOT accept a bag less than half full.
  2. Water should be put in the 4 oz plastic water bottles
  3. Forage/Solid Feed/Plant Tissue should be put in the Forage Bags. Liquid feed(can only run Protein) should be put in the 4 oz plastic bottle.
  4. Animal waste Solid/Compost must be put in two plastic zip bags. Liquid should be put in the 8 oz plastic container and only filled half; then the plastic container should be put in a zip bag. Liquid animal waste has a tendency to expand and can explode in transit. The plastic zip bag can help keep everything contained and not lost in transit.

Step 2. Properly collect the sample

Step 3. Clearly mark what test is required on the sample bag tag. If you are not sure what test is needed, your local County Extension can assist with questions. They are there to help!

Step 4. Take the sample to the Extension Office. Payment is expected at time of sample drop off.


Premise ID and RFID Tags

We are slowing transitioning from the old metal official ID tags to electronic. This is a great opportunity to come into compliance before it is mandated and at almost no cost. There are free (small shipping fee) electronic official ID ear tags available that can be ordered through the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry. There is almost 200,000 tags in stock now and expect to receive another 350,000 this calendar year.  


This tags my be ordered by producers (white official ID tags) or veterinarians (orange brucellosis vaccination or white official ID tags). They are intended for use in cattle only and should restricted to breeding cattle or replacement heifers and bulls.


A premises ID number is required to order the tags.  If a PIN is needed, there is a from below that be filled out and sent to us to get a PIN quickly.



Back To Top