2023 Grape Management Course
The concept is to familiarize present and potential Oklahoma grape growers with grape management requirements throughout the growing season. A new add-on is Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry’s Continuing Education Units have been requested for categories 1A and 10 as well as private applicators. The course is limited; please register early. The registration deadline is Feb. 17, 2023
Follow the steps to register:
- Register Online at OSU Marketplace
- Select: “Register Online”
- Then select “2023 Grape Management”
Class size: Course limited to first 50 registrants. Preregistration required! Registrations will be processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Fee: $250 per person
Format: Discussion and practical exercise
Time frame: March - September 2023
Refreshments: Available during breaks and as needed for outdoor activities
Additional education programs: Various workshops and other courses to be announced during class
Course presenters/collaborators: Aaron Essary, Assistant Extension Specialist, and other various special presenters throughout the course
Participants will receive:
- Handbook of OK Vineyard Establishment and Management
- Pocket Guide to Oklahoma Grape Pests
- Network of contacts with other growers
- Knowledge and Certificate of Completion: Must attend at least four (4) classes to receive certificate
Location: Cimarron Valley Research Station 10820 S. Jardot Perkins, OK 74059; Phone: (405) 547-2672
Directions: 1/2 mile north of Hwy 33 and 177 the intersection by Sonic
Grape Course Outline
*Monthly topics and dates are subject to change.
Thursday, March 2, 1—5 P.M.
Vine Stage: Dormant
- Management Overview
- Site Selection and Vineyard Establishment
- Pruning Introduction
- Assessing Winter Injury
- Disease Management Overview
Thursday, April 6, 1—5 P.M.
Vine Stage: Bud Burst
- Grape Species, Cultivars and Rootstocks
- Mesonet Tools
- Trellis Selection and Construction
- Sprayer Calibration
- Planting Grapes and Early Trainings
Thursday, May 11, 1—5 P.M.
Vine Stage: PreBloom
- Soils and Water Quality
- Grapevine Training
- Canopy Management
- Insect Management
Thursday, June 8, 1—5 P.M.
Vine Stage: Mid-season
- Petiole Sampling
- Table Grapes and Muscadines
Thursday, July 13, 1—5 P.M.
Vine Stage: Veraison
- Preparation for Harvest
- Business Plans
- Winery Visit
Thursday, August 10, 1—5 P.M.
- Diagnostic Lab
- Pesticide Sensitivity
- Pesticide Applicator Licensing
- Sensory Evaluation
- Vineyard Considerations for Fall and Winter
Thursday, September 14, 1—5 P.M.
Vine Stage: Postharvest
- Winery Operations
- Course Evaluation
- Vineyard and Winery Visit
COVID university guidelines:
- At this time of printing, OSU encourages the use of masks indoors in public. This includes classrooms, laboratories and all indoor meetings and gatherings. Masks reduces the risk of being infected and possibly spreading it to others.
- OSU protocols are updated regularly as warranted.