Make a spaghetti that your vegetarian friends can enjoy by substituting your choice of meat with zucchini.
- 3/4 pound whole grain spaghetti
- 1-1/4 pounds zucchini
- 1 7-ounce canned chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package. Omit salt.
- Scrub zucchini, pat dry and remove and discard both ends. Shred using the coarse side of the grater.
- Remove one pepper from the canned chile in adobo. For less heat in the final dish remove seeds. Mince the chile. Remove one tablespoon of sauce from the can and combine with minced garlic. Refrigerate remainder of the can for another use.
- Use a large nonstick skillet to heat oil over medium heat. Add minced chile with sauce and garlic, sauté 1 minute. Add shredded zucchini ad continue cooking, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.
- Drain pasta and put in large serving dish. Toss with zucchini sauce, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan cheese.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 36|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 4 g||7%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||4%|
|Cholesterol: 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium: 334 mg||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 69 g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber: 9 g||37%|
|Protein: 16 g||31%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.