Make a dinner that everyone will enjoy with this vegetarian chili recipe.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow or white onion
- 1 clove garlic, chopped or teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho or regular chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons no salt added tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15.5-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
- Add cumin, chili powder and pepper. Sauté another 30 to 60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Mix in tomato paste and cook until slightly browned, stirring and watching closely to prevent burning.
- Stir in water.
- Add all remaining ingredients except dried oregano and cheese. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes to one hour. Add more water if chili gets too thick.
- Stir in oregano and cook briefly to blend flavors.
- Remove from heat. Divide into four bowls, top each with cheese and serve.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: trace|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 5 g||7%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||3%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 737 mg||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 63 g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber: 18 g||72%|
|Protein: 19 g|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.