Vegetable and Peanut Butter Stew
Give this vegetable and peanut butter stew recipe a try for a fun twist on vegetable stew.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups sweet potato, scrubbed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup carrot, scrubbed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 to 10 ounces washed fresh or frozen spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups water, vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, potatoes, carrots and greens, one at a time. Sauté each for 30 seconds before adding the next.
- Add cayenne, crushed tomatoes and 1 cup water. Simmer until vegetables are tender, adding more water if necessary.
- In a small bowl mix peanut butter and a small amount of broth from the saucepan until smooth.
- Add peanut butter mixture to the saucepan and stir well. Continue cooking another 10 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning adding salt if needed.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 6|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories: 314||Calories from Fat trace|
|Calories from Fat: trace|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 12 g||18%|
|Saturated Fat: 2 g||11%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 339 mg||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 46 g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber: 7 g||28%|
|Protein: 10 g|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.