Tomato Soup with Sausage, Peppers and Potatoes
Turn your tomato soup into a full meal with sausage, potatoes, and other ingredients recommended by this recipe.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 8 ounces Italian sausage, cut in 1-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 medium yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 large bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 14-1/2 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 cups water
- 3 large red potatoes, peeled and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 large bay leaf
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté sausage until thoroughly cooked. Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe out pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in same pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, bell peppers and pepper. Stir well. Cook, covered, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables have softened.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, water, potatoes, fennel seeds and bay leaf.
- Bring to a full boil, then simmer, covered, about 30 minutes, until potatoes are just tender. Stir occasionally. Add cooked sausage. Cover and continue to simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Yield: 8 servings.
|Serving Size: 1/8 of recipes|
|Servings per Recipe: 8|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 108|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 12 g||18%|
|Saturated Fat: 4 g||18%|
|Cholesterol: 22 mg||7%|
|Sodium: 562 mg||23%|
|Carbohydrate: 25 g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber: 3 g||11%|
|Protein: 7 g||15%|
Modified from original source: American Institute for Cancer, Research Newsletter, Fall 2002, Issue 7.