Stuffed Summer Squash
Do more with your fresh zucchini or other summer squash by filling it with a variety of ingredients such as pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, yellow onion and more.
- 3 slices day-old whole grain bread
- 3 medium zucchini or other summer squash
- 3/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup drained and chopped canned artichoke hearts
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons vermouth
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350oF.
- Place bread, one slice at a time, in a blender and pulse until it becomes crumbs. Set aside.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out center leaving a 1/4 inch shell. Chop the removed center. Put halved zucchini cut side up on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add oil and butter to skillet over medium heat. When butter is melted add chopped zucchini centers and onion. Sauté 5 minutes. Add remaining salt and pepper, artichoke hearts, thyme and garlic. Sauté 30 seconds. Add vermouth, cook 1 minute or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Combine breadcrumbs and cooked onion mixture in a large bowl. Stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.
- Put 1/2 cup stuffing into each squash shell.
- Bake at 350oF for 45 minutes.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 6|
|Amounts per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 11 g||17%|
|Saturated Fat: 3 g||14%|
|Cholesterol: 8 g||3%|
|Sodium: 333 mg||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 17 g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber: 3 g||14%|
|Protein: 7 g||13%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.