Strawberry Freezer Jam
Sweeten up your breakfast by bringing out a jar of homemade strawberry freezer jam.
- 2 - 1/2 cups ripe strawberries (2 cups crushed)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 box powdered pectin (not a less or no sugar needed variety)
- 3/4 cup water
- Wash and dry plastic 1 or 2 cup freezer containers and lids.
- Crush the berries, 1 cup at a time, using a potato masher. If a food processor is used, pulse to chop until crushed. Be careful not to puree the berries.
- Measure 2 cups of the crushed berries into a large bowl. Save any extra for another use.
- Stir sugar into the crushed strawberries. Mix well. Let stand for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine pectin and water in a small saucepan. Stir well though it may remain lumpy. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.
- Stir cooked pectin into the strawberry-sugar mixture. Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and no longer grainy, about 3 minutes.
- Pour prepared jam into plastic containers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace for expansion during freezing. Add lids.
- Let stand 24 hours at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year.
Serves 5 cups
|Nutrition Facts per Tablespoon|
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: trace||0%|
|Saturated Fat: trace||0%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 1 mg||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 11 g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber: trace||1%|