Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Spice up Italian night at dinner with this turkey sausage and tortellini soup recipe.
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, 2 cloves
- 5 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups diced tomatoes, fresh or canned without draining
- 8 ounces no salt added tomato sauce
- 1 cup zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 8 to 10 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and sauté until cooked through, breaking it up as it cooks, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked sausage to a bowl. Pour all but 1 tablespoon fat from the pan.
- Add onion to the pan and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic to onion and continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute.
- Add sausage back to the pan. Add beef broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrots, celery, bell pepper, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer 35 to 45 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add tortellini, return to a boil and boil gently 5 to 7 minutes, until almost tender.
- Add chopped spinach. Reduce heat and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted and tortellini are tender.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 6|
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 12 g||18%|
|Saturated Fat: 4 g||22%|
|Cholesterol: 98 mg||33%|
|Sodium: 925 mg||39%|
|Carbohydrate: 33 g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber: 5 g||21%|
|Protein: 35 g|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.