Risotto is a delicious dish that you can add your own twist too with the ingredients of your choice.
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 small zucchini, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 asparagus spears, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium carrot, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup baby peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat chicken broth to boiling. Set aside. Place zucchini, asparagus and carrots in large bowl. Mix well.
- Heat oil in deep saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2 minutes. Mix in rice until coated with oil and opaque, about 1 minute. Add lemon juice, stirring until rice is almost dry, less than 1 minute. Mix in garlic and half the chopped vegetables. Cook one minute.
- Add hot broth, a half-cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. Cook, stirring continually, until rice is almost dry before adding more broth. When most of the broth has been used and rice is almost done but has a hard core, about 15 to 18 minutes, add remaining vegetables and parsley. Add the last of the chicken broth and cook until rice is tender but still al dente (offers a slight resistance when bitten into, but not soft), about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Stir in yogurt, cheese, salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Yield: 5 servings
|Servings per Recipe|
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 4 g||6%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||4%|
|Cholesterol: 2 mg||1%|
|Sodium: 583 mg||24%|
|Carbohydrate: 37 g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber: 2 g||9%|
|Protein: 12 g||24%|
Modified from original source: American Institute for Cancer Research.