Piperade (Pepper Sauce)
Piperade is a vegetable stew that can be served as a main course or a side dish. Enjoy it on its own or over your favorite meat or fish.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 teaspoons minced garlic)
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add sliced onion, green peppers and salt. Sauté, stirring often, about 10 minutes or until onion becomes translucent. Add garlic and continue cooking 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, sugar and paprika to skillet. Cover pan and continue to cook 15 minutes or until peppers are soft but still hold their shape.
- Remove cover and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in capers.
Serves 5 (about 1/2 cup per serving)
|Serving Size: about 1/2 cup|
|Servings per Recipe: 5|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 8 g||13%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||6%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 253 mg||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 10 g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber: 2 g||9%|
|Protein: 1 g||0%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.