Peas and Lettuce
Add an essence of spring and summer with the bright colorfulness of peas and lettuce.
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups fresh shelled green peas or frozen petit peas
- 1 head butterhead lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint or basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- To peel onions, bring 3 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add onions and cook 1 minute. Drain hot water and transfer onions to a bowl of ice water. Let sit in ice water 5 minutes then drain. Slip off skins. Trim root and stem ends.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add peeled onions and sauté until slightly softened, about 8 minutes.
- Gently stir peas, lettuce, parsley and mint or basil into saucepan. Add enough water to pan to prevent scorching, about half an inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes. Add more water if pan becomes dry.
- Drain well. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with remaining 1/2 tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) olive oil. stir gently.
|Serving Size: 1/2 cup|
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 5 g||8%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||4%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 267 mg||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 12 g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber: 4 g||17%|
|Protein: 5 g||9%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.