Peanut Butter Stew
An alternative to a traditional meat stew, this recipe calls for chopped roasted peanuts and creamy peanut butter as a protein source.
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 sweet potato, about 2 cups peeled and diced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1-1/4 cups non-fat milk
- 3 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, low, cover and simmer 10 minutes
- Carefully stir in peanut butter and milk until well blended. Return to gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes more.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle each serving with chopped peanuts and sliced green onion.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 6|
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 15||23%|
|Saturated Fat: 3 g||14%|
|Cholesterol: 1 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 640 mg||25%|
|Carbohydrate: 39 g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber: 5 g||21%|
|Protein: 16 g|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.