Pasta Puttanesca and Olives
Enjoy a homemade pasta puttanesca with olives at home by following this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can petite dice tomatoes, no salt added
- 1/2 cup mixed olives or Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 3/4 pound whole wheat spaghetti or linguine
- 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Springs of fresh basil, optional
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute. Stir in tomatoes, olives, capers, tomato paste, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While sauce simmers cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain pasta reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Toss pasta with sauce. If needed, thin the pasta mixture with pasta water adding only small amounts at a time until desired thickness is achieved.
- Serve topped with walnuts and sprigs of fresh basil if desired.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 6|
|Amounts per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 19 g||30%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||7%|
|Cholesterol: 0 g||0%|
|Sodium: 393 mg||16%|
|Carbohydrate: 54 g||18%|
|Dietary Fiber: 8 g||31%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.