Orange Couscous Salad
Give this delicious fruit salad a try to get ½ cup fruits/vegetables per serving.
Approximate preparation time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups couscous, whole wheat
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned mandarin oranges, drained
- ½ cup chopped red onions
- ½ cup golden raisins
- red leaf lettuce, 8 medium leaves
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- In a 1-quart saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the couscous, turmeric and pepper. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes, or until the couscous is soft. Fluff with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in the chickpeas, oranges, onions, and raisins.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, orange peel and chives. Pour over the salad and toss to mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Serve on plates lined with lettuce.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 8|
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 5 g|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg|
|Sodium: 40 mg|
|Total Carbohydrate: 47 g|
|Dietary Fiber: 9 g|
|Protein: 12 g|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.