Spice up your meal by adding a Creole flare to your okra with Creole seasoning, brown rice, garlic and other ingredients recommended int his recipe.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra, sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Cook bacon in a heavy pan until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, removing all but 1 tablespoon drippings, and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Add onion and green pepper to remaining drippings in pan. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add okra, canned tomatoes, corn, water, Creole seasoning and peeper to pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve over hot cooked rice. Top with crumbled bacon just before serving.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 7 g||11%|
|Saturated Fat: 3 g||13%|
|Cholesterol: 7 mg||2%|
|Sodium: 313 mg||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 48 g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber: 8 g||33%|
|Protein: 9 g||17%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.