North African Lentil Soup
Give your dinner some spice by adding a North African flare to your traditional lentil soup recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cups water
- 3 reduced-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and checked for stones and other debris
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can unsalted diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat a large pot with a lid over medium heat. When hot, add olive oil and sauté onions, garlic and ginger 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, and bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Cover pot and cook 30 to 40 minutes, until lentils are soft. Remove pot from heat.
- Ladle 1/3 of soup into blender and puree. Return pureed soup to the pot and stir well. Reheat if needed. Serve.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 10|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 2 g||4%|
|Saturated Fat: trace||1%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 381 mg||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 31 g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber: 11 g||43%|
|Protein: 14 g||28%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.