Mashed Potatoes and Turnips
Add a twist to traditional mashed potatoes by incorporating the flavors of turnips.
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Bring a large pan of cold water to a boil over high heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and cubed turnips. Cook 15 minutes.
- While turnips cook peel potatoes, rinse and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- When turnips have cooked 15 minutes add potatoes and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until both vegetables are tender.
- Drain well. Return to pan and place on hot burner briefly to dry further.
- Add butter and mash. Add black pepper and additional salt if needed for flavor.
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 6 g||9%|
|Saturated Fat: 4 g||18%|
|Cholesterol: 16 mg||5%|
|Sodium: 362 mg||15%|
|Carbohydrate: 26 g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber: 4 g||14%|
|Protein: 3 g|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.