Indian Green Beans
Add some extra flavor and texture to your green beans with this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, slivered
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds, optional
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated gingerroot or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh or frozen (thawed) green beans
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup grated fresh coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 to 5 sprigs cilantro
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and mustard seeds (optional). Sauté until nuts are lightly browned; set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, salt and pepper. Sauté until onions become soft, but not browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add beans, red pepper, coconut and chopped cilantro. Mix lightly. Cover and reduce heat. Cook until beans are crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in reserved almond mixture. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe|
|Servings Per Recipe: 6|
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 13 g||20%|
|Saturated Fat: 5 g||25%|
|Cholesterol: 10 mg||3%|
|Sodium: 103 mg||4%|
|Carbohydrate: 13 g||4%|
|Dietary FIber: 5 g||21%|
|Protein: 5 g||10%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.