Iceberg Lettuce with Cannellini Beans
Add some protein and flavor to a traditional iceberg lettuce salad with the recipe below.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, washed and quartered
- 2/3 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Wash hands and cooking surfaces.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown.
- Add lettuce to skillet, cut side down. Allow to cook, undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Turn lettuce to the other uncut side. Add broth, beans, salt and pepper. Turn heat to medium-high to bring broth to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and stir carefully. Sprinkle with parsley if using.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amounts per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 5 g||8%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||3%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 587 mg||24%|
|Carbohydrate: 19 g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber: 6 g||25%|
|Protein: 8 g|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.