This cold, fruit-based soup is a refreshing and light summertime dish.
- 1/2 ripe 6½ to 8 pound honeydew melon
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup fruity white wine such as Gewurztraminer or Chenin Blanc or apple juice
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Scrub uncut melon with a vegetable brush. Dry.
- Halve melon, scoop out seeds and discard. Wrap and refrigerate half of the melon. Cut remaining half melon into chunks. There should be 4 to 5 cups.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add jalapeño pepper and sauté, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add wine or apple juice to the skillet and bring to boiling. Remove from heat.
- Combine melon, wine mixture, lime juice, honey and pepper in a large bowl.
- Puree the melon mixture, in batches, in a blender, until very smooth.
- Transfer each batch to a large bowl, stirring well to mix after each batch is added.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Serve chilled. Serves 4.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 1|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 1 g||2%|
|Saturated Fat: trace||0%|
|Cholesterol: 0 g||0%|
|Sodium: 21 mg||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 26 g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber: 1 g||6%|
|Protein: 1 g||22%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.