Gumbo is a hearty and filling meal that serves as the perfect dish to throw together during winter weather.
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced okra
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 4 drops hot sauce
- 2 cups chopped cooked white meat chicken
- 8-ounces reduced fat polska kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks combine flour and oil in Dutch oven. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper, okra, celery, garlic, thyme, black pepper and hot sauce. Cook 3 minutes stirring frequently.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook 6 to 10 minutes or until heated through and vegetables are tender. Serve over rice.
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Calories from Fat: 117|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 13 g||19%|
|Saturated Fat: 3 g||17%|
|Cholesterol: 65 mg||22%|
|Sodium: 1305 mg||54%|
|Carbohydrate: 57 g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber: 4 g||16%|
|Protein: 36 g||73%|
Modified from original source: Cooking Light at http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder accessed 9/18