Ground Beef, Bean & Barley Soup
This soup recipe is easy to make and a favorite the whole family will love!
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 7 cups water
- 3/4 cup quick barley
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound frozen mixed vegetables
- Brown ground beef in Dutch oven. Add onion and cook until onion is tender. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients expect frozen vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add more water if soup becomes to thick.
- Add frozen vegetables and cook 10 to 15 minutes longer, until frozen vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- Remove bay leave and serve. Refrigerate leftovers until needed then reheat to at least 165oF.
|Amounts Per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 9 g||14%|
|Saturated Fat: 3 g||17%|
|Cholesterol: 28 mg||9%|
|Sodium: 430 mg||18%|
|Carbohydrate: 49 g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber: 14 g||56%|
|Protein: 17 g||34%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.