Grilled Bread and Tomatoes
A fresh take on grilled bread and tomatoes for a healthy recipe.
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 4 slices sourdough bread cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 large clove garlic, halved
- In a medium-size bowl, combine onions, minced garlic, pepper and vinegar. Stir in all but 1 teaspoon oil. Add 1/2 of the basil. Mix well and set aside.
- Season sliced tomatoes with additional pepper to taste. Add bread to the grill and grill about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove bread from the grill and brush the remaining teaspoon of oil on one side of each of the bread slices. Quickly rub the garlic halves onto each oiled side.
- Divide the tomato slices on the bread; sprinkle with the remaining basil. Carefully pour the vinegar dressing over the tomatoes. Serve immediately.
|Serving Size||1/4 of recipe|
|Servings per recipe||4|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 165||Calories from fat 73|
|% Daily Value|