Green Beans and Greens Salad with Beet Dressing
Add your own twist to a green bean and greens salad by making your own homemade beet dressing.
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked or canned beets
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium whole beet, cooked or canned
- 3 cups fresh spinach, washed well and dried, chopped into bite sized pieces if large
- 3 cups Romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons red onions, cut into thin slices
- Combine 1/2 cup chopped beets, mustard, vinegar and 2 tablespoons broth in blender. Puree until smooth. Scrape down sides and return lid, removing center cover. Add 2 tablespoons broth through opening in center of lid. Add oil the same way. Mix in salt and pepper. If not used right away, cover tightly and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Thin with additional broth if necessary when used.
- Blanch green in boiling water 3 to 4 minutes, until crisp tender. Drain and plunge into ice water. Drain well and set aside.
- Thinly slice remaining beet, then cut slices into match sticks. Set aside.
- Combine spinach and Romaine lettuce in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with onions, green beans and matchstick beets. Drizzle with 6 tablespoons dressing (refrigerate remaining dressing for another use). Serve immediately.
|Serving Size: 1|
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 36|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 4 g||6%|
|Saturated Fat: trace||2%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 392 mg||16%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 11 g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber: 4 g||15%|
|Protein: 4 g||7%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.