Garden Mustard Relish
This vegetable relish is perfect to keep on hand to serve with any of your favorite dishes.
2-1/4 cups prepared vegetables (about 2 large carrots, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 green pepper and 1 small onion)
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons prepared mustard 2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 box powdered fruit pectin
2 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
- Bring boiling-water canner, half-full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot, soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
- Peel and finely chop carrots. Measure exactly 1 cup into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Peel and seed cucumber. Finely chop cucumber; drain well. Measure exactly 1/2 cup into saucepot. Stem and halve green pepper; discard seeds. Finely chop pepper; drain well. Measure exactly 1/2 cup into saucepot. Peel and finely chop onions; drain well. Measure exactly 1/4 cup into saucepot. Stir in vinegar, mustard, salt, celery seed and ginger.
- Stir pectin into vegetable mixture in saucepot. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that does not stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in all sugar quickly. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with a metal spoon.
- Ladle quickly into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars into canner. Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches; add boiling water if needed. Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. Check seals between 12 and 24 hours after processing.
Yields 3 (1-cup) jars.