Garbanzos, Spinach & Mushrooms
This garbanzos, spinach and mushrooms recipe is a great vegetarian option for a warm, winter meal!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 8 cups fresh spinach washed, not dried
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Add garlic cloves and saute until they begin to turn golden. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the oil to cool slightly.
- Stir paprika into the garlic and oil. Add undrained tomatoes and return the pan to the burner over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and allow sauce to simmer. While mixture cooks break up whole tomatoes and garlic cloves.
- Add spinach and water clinging to the leaves to a second saucepan over high heat. Cook until wilted. Plunge in cold water to stop cooking, drain well. Squeeze dry to remove any remaining water and chop coarsely. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet saute halved mushrooms in 2 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat until golden. Stir in salt and pepper. Set mushroom aside with spinach.
- Sit in garbanzo beans into the tomato mixture. Continue cooking sauce until it becomes velvety and the oil begins to separate.
- Stir in spinach and mushrooms.
- Serve, sprinkled with toasted pine nuts.
|Servings Per Recipe: 6|
|Amounts Per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 19 g||29%|
|Saturated Fat: 3 g||13%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 392 mg||16%|
|Carbohydrate: 32 g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber: 6 g||24%|
|Protein: 11 g||23%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.