Garbanzo and Okra Gumbo
This garbanzo and okra gumbo is a fun recipe to try that everyone will love!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium and fat free
- 4 cups diced tomatoes or 2 (14-ounce cans) diced no salt added tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas) or 1 (15-ounce can), no salt added, drained
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 to 2 cups water, if needed
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper and celery and sauté, stirring constantly, until onion becomes transparent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
Add flour and continue to stir until flour begins to brown slightly.
Stir in 2 cups broth, tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Stir well. Gumbo should have enough liquid to be a thick soup. If too dry, add water, 1 cup at a time.
Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Serve over rice.
|Servings Per Recipe: 6|
|Amounts Per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 5 g||7%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||3%|
|Cholesterol: Trace Amounts||0%|
|Sodium: 587 mg||24%|
|Carbohydrate: 61 g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber: 9 g||37%|
|Protein: 16 g||32%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.