Fresh Tomato Soup
This recipe is perfect for a fresh soup on those cold winter days!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 6 cups low-sodium, reduced fat chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups small dry pasta shells
- 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Sauté onion and celery for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic, zucchini and corn; sauté 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add pasta, tomatoes, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper and sugar. Simmer
until pasta is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- When served, top each bowl with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
Yield: 6 servings
|Servings Per Recipe: 6|
|Amounts Per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 4 g||6%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||7%|
|Cholesterol: 4 mg||1%|
|Sodium: 797 mg||33%|
|Carbohydrate: 37 g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber: 4 g||14%|
|Protein: 19 g||37%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.