Fresh Orange Carrots and Broccoli
Add a splash of orange to your fresh carrots and broccoli. Vegetables have never tasted so good!
- 2 cups broccoli flowerets
- 1-1/2 cups carrots, bias-sliced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- Place broccoli and carrots in a steamer basket in a saucepan filled with 1-inch of water. Bring water to a boil; cover and steam 6 to 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Remove steamer basket from pan, discard liquid. Keep vegetables warm.
- In the same saucepan stir together broth and juice. Add cornstarch and stir until dissolved. Stir in onion, basil, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens and bubbles. Cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in chopped orange; add vegetables back to pan. Toss gently to coat with sauce. Serve immediately.
|Servings per recipe: 5|
|Calories from fat: 0|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: trace||0%|
|Saturated Fat: trace||0%|
|Dietary Fiber: 3g||11%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
Modified from original source: PBH/Sunkist Growers, Inc. via about produce.com
Barbara Brown, Food Specialist
Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service