Check out this easy to make traditional chili recipe that is perfect for chilly weather.
- 1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1-3 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups cooked pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth, divided
- 2 tablespoon corn meal
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, bell pepper and garlic until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add jalapeno, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Stir until spices are fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add cooked beans, tomatoes, cilantro and all but 3 tablespoon broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Place corn meal in small bowl. Mix in reserved broth, stirring to make a smooth mixture. While stirring chili, blending corn meal mixture, blending well. Continue simmering 10 minutes.
|Serving Size: 1/4 Cup|
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amount per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 5 g||8%|
|Saturated Fat: Trace Amounts||2%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 136 mg||6%|
|Carbohydrate: 47 g||16%|
|Dietary Fiber: 14 g||55%|
|Protein: 18 g||37%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.