Chunky Tomato and Bean Soup
Add a little extra to your tomato soup with the ingredients recommended in this homemade chunky tomato and bean soup recipe.
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, about 1 pound
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2-1/2 cups cooked white beans
- 13-3/4 ounces reduced sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed
- 3 cups spinach leaves
- 4 slices Italian bread, toasted
- 4 teaspoons Parmesan cheese
- Use tomatoes held at room temperature until fully ripe. Core tomatoes; coarsely chop (makes about 3 cups); set aside.
- In 4-quart saucepan heat oil until hot. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add beans, broth, 1 cup water, black pepper, Italian seasonings and reserved tomatoes; bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered 15 minutes.
- Stir in spinach; cook until spinach is tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- To serve, in each bowl place a slice of bread; ladle in soup. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
|Serving Size||1/4 of recipe|
|Servings per recipe||4|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 303||Calories from fat 45|
|% Daily Value|