Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Add an unexpected zucchini flare to your classic chocolate cake. This recipe is one for the books!
- 2-1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup reduced fat milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350oF. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube or bundt pan.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in bowl; set aside.
- Cream butter with sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well
after each addition. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla, orange rind and zucchini.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with half cup milk, mixing well after each
addition. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350oF for about 1hour. Cool in pan for 15
minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Sift powdered sugar over cooled cake.
|Servings per recipe: 16|
|Calories from fat: 135|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 15g||23%|
|Saturated Fat: 6g||31%|
|Dietary Fiber: 2g||9%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
Modified from original source: Flavor of Nashville, Home Economists in Home and Community, 1996, P.O. Box 50484, Nashville, TN 37205-0484
Barbara Brown, Food Specialist
Oklahoma Cooperative Extension Service