Cheese Grits with Black Beans
Add some spice to your breakfast, brunch or lunch grits with black beans, hot sauce, green onions and other ingredients recommended in this recipe.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1/8 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional), divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in 3/4 inch squares
- 1 green bell pepper, cut in 3/4 inch squares
- 6 green onions including green tops, thinly sliced
- 2 cups cooked or 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup diced canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- Combine water, milk, hot sauce, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt and half the cayenne pepper in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat while watching the pan carefully to avoid boil over. Whisk in grits in a slow, steady stream. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 to 10 minutes until grits are thick, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Heat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add canola oil. When oil is hot add peppers and green onions and sauté, stirring often, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, broth, remaining cayenne and salt if desired. Bring to a simmer and cook about 5 minutes, stirring often, until beans are hot. Serve over cheese grits.
|Servings per Recipe: 4|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat: 54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 6 g||9%|
|Saturated Fat: 3 g||16%|
|Cholesterol: 16 mg||5%|
|Sodium: 586 mg||24%|
|Total Carbohydrate: 56 g||19%|
|Dietary Fiber: 11 g||43%|
|Protein: 18 g||37%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.