Caribbean Beef Soup
Give this soup recipe a try to add a Caribbean twist!
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef*
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth, fat free, 50% less sodium
- 1 15-1/2 ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 13-1/2 ounce can light coconut milk
- 2 cups packed fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot add ground beef, breaking into crumbles, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove meat fro skillet, drain well.
- Return pan to heat, add oil. When oil is hot add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and curry powder. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, until onion and pepper are crisp-tender. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in flour and cook, while stirring, for 1 minute.
- Return drained beef to skillet. Stir in broth, black-eyed peas and coconut milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until sweet potato is tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and thyme. Cook 1 minute, until spinach is wilted.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
*Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160oF. Color is not a reliable indicator of doneness
|Servings Per Recipe||6|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||207|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat||23 g||36%|
|Saturated Fat||10 g||50%|
|Total Carbohydrate||28 g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g||26%|