An easy way to make cabbage soup, allowing opportunity for adjustments made to taste, using a dutch oven.
- 1-1/2 pounds green or red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 quart tomato juice without added salt
- 4 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream
- Core and thinly slice cabbage.
- Heat oil in a 3-quart Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until it begins to wilt (about 10 minutes).
- Add remaining ingredients except sour cream. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and simmer until cabbage is tender (about 30 minutes).
- Taste to adjust seasoning adding more sugar or lemon juice if desired. When ready to serve, ladle into warmed soup bowls, and spoon a rounded tablespoon of sour cream in the center.
|Serving Size||1/8 of recipe|
|Servings per recipe||8|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 158||Calories from fat 18|
|% Daily Value|