This butternut stew is an easy-to-make recipe that is a fall favorite for the whole family!
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon canola or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 4 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups yellow hominy
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In a large saucepan heat cumin seeds over medium heat until they are toasted. Remove seeds and set them aside.
- Use the same pan to heat oil over medium heat. Sauté half the toasted cumin seeds, the onion, and sugar about 5 minutes, until onion becomes lightly browned.
- Add flour, chili powder, garlic, green pepper, squash, water, hominy and broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover pan and simmer 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook another 10 minutes until squash is very tender. Stir in remaining seeds and cilantro and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
|Servings Per Recipe: 4|
|Amounts Per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 5 g||8%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 mg||3%|
|Cholesterol: 0 mg||0%|
|Sodium: 602 mg||25%|
|Carbohydrate: 45 g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber: 7 g||29%|
|Protein: 8 g||16%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.