Broccoli Cheese Soup
This broccoli cheese soup is a great hearty recipe for any occasion!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- Spray a large nonstick saucepan with nonstick vegetable spray. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 3 to 5 minutes, until tender but not browned. Add garlic and saute an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add broth and broccoli. Bring to a boil over medium-heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Put flour in a bowl. Slowly add milk while whisking. Continue whisking until well blended.
- Add milk-flour mixture to broccoli mixture. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Stir in pepper.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Place one-third of the soup in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Use care with hot liquids in the blender. Return the pureed portion of the soup to the mixture in the pan. Alternately, use a submersion blender to puree the soup to the consistency preferred. Rewarm the soup if needed.
|Servings Per Recipe: 6|
|Amounts Per Serving|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat: 8 g||13%|
|Saturated Fat: 5 g||26%|
|Cholesterol: 28 g||9%|
|Sodium: 398 mg||17%|
|Carbohydrate: 19 g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber: 3 g||12%|
|Protein: 20 g||40%|
*The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.