Black Beans and RIce
Side dish or as a meal, the black beans and rice recipe is so versatile. Both quick and easy, this is sure to become a family favorite.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked parboiled or converted brown rice
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups canned or cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups corn kernels, canned or frozen, thawed
- 4 ounces canned mild green chiles, diced
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes, drained, save juice
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium high heat. Add peppers, onion and garlic and sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir in broth, rice, cumin and turmeric. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 30 minutes or until rice is tender (check rice label for recommended cooking time). Do not stir.
- When rice is tender, gently stir in beans, corn, chiles, tomatoes and pepper. Heat through and let stand 5 minutes. If too thick stir in some of the reserved tomato juice.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.
|Servings Per Recipe||8|
|Amount per Serving|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat||3 g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate||44 g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g||27%|
* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.