This delicious and healthy salad is easy to make and is a can make a great meatless main course.
- 2 15-ounce jars sliced beets, drained
- 1/4cup red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts*
- 6 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- In a shallow bowl, place beets; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over beets and toss gently. Cover beets and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Line 6 salad plates with romaine leaves. Top with layer of drained marinated beets. Sprinkle each salad plate with 1 tablespoon walnuts and 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese.
*To toast walnuts spread shelled nuts in a shallow pan. Bake in a 350°F oven 5 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until nutmeats turn golden brown. Nuts continue to brown slightly after removing from heat.
|Servings per Recipe: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 144|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 16 g||24%|
|Saturated Fat: 3 g||14%|
|Cholesterol: 5 mg||2%|
|Sodium: 498 mg||21%|
|Carbohydrate: 14 g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber: 3 g||12%|
|Protein: 5 g||10%|
Modified from original source: The Other White Meat at http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com accessed 9/25/06