Beans and Greens Soup
Warm up in the winter with a hearty and delicious soup made with rice, beans and greens.
- 6 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup converted rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach or kale
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Combine broth, tomato puree, beans, rice, onion, garlic, basil, and pepper in a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cover. Cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours or on HIGH 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours.
- Stir in spinach or kale. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
|Servings per Recipe: 6|
|Calories from Fat: 18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat: 2 g||4%|
|Saturated Fat: 1 g||5%|
|Cholesterol: 4 mg||1%|
|Sodium: 979 mg||41%|
|Carbohydrate: 52 g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber: 8 g||32%|
|Protein: 25 g||50%|
Modified from original source: http://recipes.bhg.com/recipes accessed 10/2/06