How to add an easy vegetable twist on a simple casserole recipe that can be saved and refrigerated or baked now.
- 32 ounces frozen broccoli spears, thawed & drained
- 16 ounces frozen carrot slices, thawed
- 15 ounces canned pearl onions, drained
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Place thawed or cooked and drained vegetables in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray. Mix gently to combine. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour with wire whisk. Cook over low heat 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Do not allow mixture to brown. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat 3 to 5 more minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Add pepper. Stir in cheese. Remove from heat and stir until cheese melts and sauce blends. Pour over vegetables in baking dish.
- In small bowl, combine bread crumbs and melted butter. Stir to mix well. Sprinkle over cheese sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. At this point you can cover casserole and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350oF for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Add and extra 10-15 minutes if casserole has been refrigerated.
|Serving Size||1/10 of recipe|
|Servings per recipe||10|
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 185||Calories from fat 90|
|% Daily Value|