Backyard Demonstration Gardens
Build a Backyard Paradise
New to gardening?Starting a garden for the first time can be overwhelming. The most important thing to do is start small so it is manageable. Here are some questions to consider as you begin:
Your Resources for the Garden
- How much money are you wanting/willing to invest?
- How much time are you willing to invest into your garden? Do you want to spend hours every week in maintenance, or keep it minimal effort?
Planning the Garden
- What are you wanting to grow? Vegetables, fruits, flowers, herbs…
- What type of aesthetic are you looking for? Do you want a refined appearance, some kind of functional container, or somewhere in between?
Choosing the Garden Space
- How much sun does your planned garden area receive? Most vegetables need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight.
- How much space do you have? Are you wanting a traditional, in-ground garden, or some type of raised bed?