Love County 4-H
Any youth, ages 9 to 19, can join the Love County 4-H program. Cloverbuds, a non-competitive 4-H program for 5-8 year olds, is available through some local clubs.
The mission of the 4-H Youth Development Program is to provide Oklahoma youth, families, and communities with educational programs which will create environments for diverse audiences of youth and adults to reach their fullest potential. In support of this mission we will:
- Provide community based experiential learning through clubs, school enrichment, special interest programs, and mass media.
- Help youth develop skills that will benefit them throughout life.
- Foster leadership and volunteerism for youth and adults.
- Build internal and external partnerships for programming and resource development.
- Strengthen families and communities.
- Use research-based knowledge and the land grant university system and other sources.
- We Believe
- Human Growth and development is the primary goal of the 4-H Shooting Sports program.
- Shooting Sports are an outstanding way to provide human growth and development opportunities.
- Introducing safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment opens valuable vocational and life-long recreational education.
- Why Shooting Sports?
- About two-thirds of the homes in the United States have firearms. Exposure to safe and responsible handling is vital to preventing accidents at home or next door.
- Shooting is the second most popular international sport behind tract and field. It is nearly unique in being a lifetime sport.
- Shooting Sports attract new audiences to 4-H and created adult/youth bonds.
- Program Goals
- To encourage understanding of natural resource concepts through participant's interest in shooting and hunting.
- To enhance development of participant's self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in shooting activities.
- To teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment, including sound decision-making, self-discipline and concentration.
- To promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- To expose participants to the broad array of vocations and lifelong vocational activities related to Shooting Sports.
- To strengthen families through life-long recreational activities.
- To complement and enhance the impact of existing safety and hunter education programs.
- Love County Shooting Sports Include:
- Hunting and Wildlife
- Air Rifle
Each discipline teaches safety, concentration, self-discipline, self-confidence, goal-setting, decision-making and courtesy as the young people learn basic skills and build toward more advanced activities. Both competitive and cooperative skills are included. Participants are exposed to local policies, regulations, laws, and ethical behavior through repeat demonstrations and personal practice.