Grant County Agriculture
The purpose of this association shall not be for profit, but shall be to promote the welfare of the cattle industry throughout Pottawatomie County, promote educational and scientific programs affecting the cattle industry through the County Extension Center and the Oklahoma State University Division of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources.
The OSU Master Cattleman program is a comprehensive educational curriculum designed to enhance participants' proficiency in production and business management.
The program costs $75 and is offered to Oklahoma beef producers. The fee is to cover the costs of the course materials. Participants receive an Oklahoma Beef Cattle Manual, instructional material, a producer certificate, Master Cattleman farm gate sign, and a notebook with the Master Cattleman logo.
The objective of the Master Cattleman program is to enhance the profitability of beef operations and the quality of life of beef cattle producers. Producers equipped with vital information on all aspects of beef production, business planning, risk management, and marketing can build and maintain sustainable businesses.
Certification requires successful completion of 28 hours of Master Cattleman credit. The core curriculum consists of four hours from each of the following disciplines:
- Nutrition and Management
- Quality Assurance and Animal Health
- Reproduction (cow-calf producers)
- Natural Resources
- Business Planning and Management
- Marketing and Risk Management
Approximately six specific topics are available within each discipline. Each topic provides the equivalent fo one or two credit hours. The program allows flexibility to tailor the curriculum to fit local needs and interests. Proficiency in each topic is demonstrated by successful the completion of a brief quiz.
- Ag Weather
- American Sheep Association
- American Society of Agronomy
- Climate Prediction Center Forecasts
- Entomology & Plant Pathology
- Hay Market Update
- MWPS - Midwest Plan Service
- Oklahoma Agricultural Food & Forestry
- Oklahoma Climate Data
- Oklahoma Livestock Market Website
- OSU Pecan Management - Online Course
- OSU Wheat Improvement Program
- Pesticide Label Information
- Plant & Soil Sciences
- USDA-Plants Database