Wheat Planting, Panhandle Pests & Toxic Johnsongrass
Saturday, September 16, 2023
This week on SUNUP:
- Amanda De Oliveira Silva, OSU Extension small grains specialist, discusses wheat planting for both grain-only and pasture. She also analyzes protein data from her variety trials.
- Wes Lee, OSU Extension Mesonet agricultural coordinator, says the recent rainfall will help with wheat planting. State climatologist Gary McManus predicts slightly warmer weather is around the corner.
- Rosslyn Biggs, OSU Extension beef cattle specialist, discusses the potential risks of grazing Johnsongrass after the recent rainfall.
- Derrell Peel, OSU Extension livestock marketing specialist, says the cattle market should remain strong into the fall.
- Mark Johnson, OSU Extension beef cattle breeding specialist, explains why record keeping is so essential for cattle operations.
- Kim Anderson, OSU Extension grain marketing specialist, analyzes the newest World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates (WASDE) report.
- Finally, SUNUP heads back up to the Panhandle Crops Field Day to talk with OSU entomologist
Kris Giles about insect pressures in that part of the state.